There are several reasons why you might not be able to see your course in Canvas: For further assistance, please call the 24/7 CANVAS SUPPORT HOTLINE
- Students: 1-844-334-0397 (toll free) or 1-801-957-5125 Option 1
- Faculty/Administrators/Staff: 1-833-250-2077
(toll free) or 1-801-957-5125 Option 2
- or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Possible reasons why a student can't see their course in Canvas:
- The semester/term hasn't started yet. You will not be able to access your online class until the first day of class (unless your instructor chooses to open the course site early). Check the detailed course schedule to identify the class start date.
- You are not registered for the course. Check the detailed class schedule to confirm whether you are registered for that course.
- The Canvas course site is not yet published by the instructor. A course site isn't visible to students until the instructor manually publishes the Canvas site. If the semester/term has already started and you are definitely registered for the course, contact your instructor and ask them to publish the course.
- You may have previously set your Courses List to show other courses. In this case, you need to manually adjust the visibility of courses through the Courses button, then All Courses.
Please see the Canvas Guide How do I customize my Courses List as a student?
Possible reasons why an instructor can't see their course in Canvas:
- The blank Canvas course sites (shells) are not yet finalized and available for the upcoming semester. Canvas course shells become available when designated by the Canvas Administrator and registration. Most often this is approximately three weeks before classes begin. You are able to see them in advance from the Canvas global menu (far left vertical menu in any Canvas course), in the Courses List under All Courses.
- You are not yet designated as the teacher of record for the course. Check with your Associate Dean or immediate supervisor for confirmation of the detailed class schedule.
- You haven't set the course to show in your dashboard or Courses short-cut list. All of your courses (past, present, and future) are visible in the Canvas global menu Courses list under All Courses, including the titles of courses which may be closed for access.
If you want to be sure a course shows on your Dashboard or Courses short-cut list:
- Log in to Canvas.
- From the Courses menu (far left global menu) click All Courses.
- Star the courses you want to be visible in your Courses List by clicking the star shape left of each title once. The start will turn orange when activated.
- Return to the dashboard to confirm that the newly starred courses are visible.
- Remove stars for any courses you no longer want to be visible for quick access in the Dashboard or Courses short-cut list.
Please see the Canvas Guide How do I customize my Courses List as an instructor?
QA REL 5/16/18