What are Groups?
Creating Group Sets
From the course menu, select the People tab. You will then create a "Group Set" with a specific name, such as the assignment name. You can also select an existing Group Set if already created. For a detailed tutorial, please see the Canvas Guide How do I add a group set in a course?
Creating Project Groups within a Group Set
Instructors choose to assign individuals to project or working groups in one of three ways:
- Manually - Once you have created groups, you can drag the students from the student list into the Group you wish to put them in. The following Canvas guide shows you exactly how to drag student names: How do I manually assign students to groups
- Automatically - Canvas can automatically sort students into groups during the creation process. Refer to the Canvas Guide How do I automatically create groups in a group set? to create groups automatically. It shows you how to create a Group Set first, (required).
- Student Self-Signup - Students can also sign themselves up and create their own groups. Refer to How do I create self sign-up groups in a group set? to create groups that allow students to self-assign to existing groups.
- Canvas will allow the instructor to create as many different groups as desired and assign each named group to different assignments. (Not recommended due to difficulty in setup.)
- Groups and configurations do not transfer from semester-to-semester in Canvas courses and must be remade each semester.
- When groups are created, Canvas notifications will alert students, as with when assignments are created.
Using Assignments with course groups
- Existing assignments are accessed through the Assignments tab. Click the assignment name and then the Edit icon. Remember always to save your changes.
- Scroll through the settings options and look for the checkbox labeled I will assign grades individually. (Not recommended.) Leave this box unchecked to allow the instructor to grade one submission and have the grade automatically given to all group members.
- The first student in a group to submit an assignment is alerted that their submission will count for their entire group.
- If an Instructor chooses to grade individually and check the box, it is necessary to go to each student's Gradebook column/box and enter a score manually.
- Instructors have the option to return to the Gradebook later to adjust individual grades up or down.