Class rosters are no longer distributed on paper to instructors. For those who prefer to use a paper copy in the classroom—rather than bringing a laptop and working in Canvas—there are several options for generating your own class roster. Whichever option you choose, please remember to update your paperwork frequently throughout the time period when students may be adding/dropping courses.
The Canvas Gradebook has a complete list of students who are officially enrolled in your course. To print this list:
- From the Canvas course menu on the left, select Grades.
- Scroll to the far right of the Gradebook, click the Export button.
- Select the Current option box.
- The spreadsheet downloads to your computer. The file's name includes the course name, today's date, and a .csv extension. Depending on your computer settings, it will be in your computer's Downloads directory, and may open automatically.
- Open the .csv file in a spreadsheet application (such as Microsoft Excel). Make any formatting changes you desire, then print the roster.
- Save your file (you may see a warning message informing you that some interactivity features might be lost when you save).
- Click Continue, then Save.
- Edit your spreadsheet to serve your purpose for taking roll. This roll is now a separate document—it does not feed information back into Canvas.
- This related article: How do I export my Canvas Gradebook?
- This Canvas Guide: How do I download/export scores from Canvas Gradebook to a spreadsheet?
Canvas also lists all students under the "People" link.
- From the course menu on the left, select People.
- Use your browser's print feature to print the list.