What is Proctorio?
Proctorio is a secure online proctoring service software that integrates with Canvas and works within your Chrome web browser to monitor test takers for suspicious behaviors. This automated proctoring system lets instructors set the controls for each exam with the click of a mouse. Salt Lake Community College, along with several other Utah colleges and universities, has partnered with Proctorio to provide virtual proctoring options for fully online courses, but it can also be used for on-campus and hybrid courses. Note: Proctorio brings many robust testing center security features to a virtual environment. It does not replace the testing center security features but enables additional options for instructors to use to tailor exam options for their students. Proctorio is SLCC’s online proctoring solution to ensure academic integrity.
- Students access virtual proctoring remotely in Canvas (no need to go to testing center).
- Audio/video algorithms detect open book/notes/browser activity, other people in the room, and unusual behaviors (e.g. looking off screen repeatedly).
- Instructors control the level of security.
- Suspicious behavior is automatically reportedinCanvas.
- Convenience and cost savings for students.
- Good demo video of several features, UEN 2016 Video
Proctorio System Requirements
- Chrome Browser
- Chrome Proctorio Extension
- Web Camera
How do I implement Proctorio in my Canvas course?
is to make exam integrity easy. The one-click integration process will get your courses all set up for Proctorio in just seconds. There are no codes, no passwords, and no 10-step processes. When we're done, Proctorio will be added to your course, along with a practice test, and guides for both you and your students.
- Click this link and follow the directions to enable your browser to use Proctorio.
- When the browser plug-in has been installed, a prompt to integrate Proctorio is shown the next time the course is accessed.
- After the plugin is installed, see: How do I add Proctorio to a course? (video)
Managing your Proctorio Quizzes
Managing your Proctorio Quizzes
After Proctorio has been enabled for the course, the Settings tab is available under the Quizzes menu (see below).
Scroll down to the test settings and enable the option Enable Proctorio Secure Exam Proctor (see below).
Once this option is enabled, the line "Remote proctor Proctorio Settings tab can be controlled from the Proctorio Settings tab" appears immediately below it. Click Settings (see above).
The options to specify test settings are listed (see below). There are options below the ones shown here.
- Click on the desired options (all the options have explanations if needed).
- At the bottom of the screen, click Save or Save & Publish. You are returned to the regular quiz settings.
Proctorio software is easy to use, but if there is an issue, Proctorio staff are happy to help. Technical support is available 24/7/365 via chat, email, phone, and SMS. Additionally, faculty and student guides are available online.
Need help setting up Proctorio?
For more information, or to sign up and begin using Proctorio in your course, contact:
- eLearning, 1-833-250-2077 (toll free) or 1-801-957-5125 Option 2; email@example.com
- Debra Graham, Manager, Testing Services, SLCC Online & eLearning Services, (801-957-4407; firstname.lastname@example.org)