As an institution, SLCC adopts Google and Microsoft platforms for much of its primary digital productivity software and email communication needs. See below for more information:
1. GOOGLE GMAIL (@bruinmail.slcc.edu)
SLCC adopts Gmail and other Google products to facilitate much digital content and communication needs. Gmail is a web-based mail tool and is the heart of Google Apps, along with Google Docs, Sheets and Slides. Easy to use and accessible from any computer, Gmail at Salt Lake Community College is nearly identical to the public version of Gmail you may already be familiar with. The benefit of using your SLCC Gmail account instead of a personal account is more security and unlimited storage space. (Source)
Some of the key benefits:
- Accessible from any computer with a browser and an internet connection
- Uses conversation threads to group messages by subject
- Uses labels instead of folders to categorize messages
- GTalk (instant messaging) built right in and includes voice and video chat
- Offline mode and other Labs features extend the system and add new capabilities
Log into your Bruinmail account via MySLCC or go to gmail.com and log in with your full account username: Username@bruinmail.slcc.edu. See also: Student Email (BruinMail) Policy.
2. MICROSOFT OUTLOOK (@slcc.edu)
Salt Lake Community College also offers faculty, staff and active students a license for Office 365. These two license types provide access to key applications, storage, and processes that are instrumental for the role each take at the college. Faculty/Staff have a License A3 and Students have a License A1, which all include:
- Web versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and Outlook (bruinmail account for students), OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams, Sway, Forms.
- Desktop versions of Office 365
- Office apps on up to 5 tablets and 5 phones per user
- Rights management, data loss prevention, and encryption
- Unlimited personal cloud storage
- Email (Faculty/Staff only)
For full features, see: Office 365 Information for Students and Staff/Faculty personal devices
What's the difference between BruinMail and Outlook?
Some of the key differences from other mail systems (e.g. Outlook) are:
- Only faculty and staff receive @slcc email accounts.
- Used as your access to SLCC's Google security and offline cloud storage.
- Did You Know? The first prefix of your bruinmail is your MYLSCC login username?
- This is the email and the username is also associated with your Canvas account.
- By default, Bruin Gmail accounts are used as official correspondence to students.
- All staff, faculty, and students get a Gmail account. Only staff and faculty get a Microsoft email account.
How do I get help with my campus email accounts?
For answers to questions about your campus email account (Outlook and BruinMail), contact the Office of Information Technology Help Desk.
In-Person: Taylorsville Redwood Campus, Technology Building (TB), Suite 216
For more information, visit the Office of Information Technology website.
Rev. 12/04/2019 KH