As of May 15, 2017, SLCC's Canvas Administrators turned off the Canvas tool called Faculty Journal due to privacy concerns. Instructors are now directed to make notes on their interactions with students in the new student retention system called MySuccess (formerly known as Starfish).
How it works
In MySuccess, you can add a note to your students’ files and decide if you want it to be private (for only you to see), shared only with yourself and the student’s advisor(s), or shared with all faculty and advisors with a connection to the student.
Enable MySuccess in Canvas
MySuccess can be enabled in a Canvas course navigation menu (left vertical menu). For full instructions, view this Canvas Guide: How do I hide and reorder navigation links?
Recording Student Information and Notes in MySuccess
To leave a note about your student:
- Click MySuccess in the left side menu in any Canvas course. This link is a gateway to the MySuccess system so you will have access to all of your students no matter which class you use to sign in.
- In the top menu, click the Students tab. A list of your students displays.
- Using the search bar at the top, search for your student by name or S#.
- Click the student’s name to display their profile.
- To add a note, at the top of the student profile click Note.
- Select if you want a General Shared Note (shared with all faculty and advisors) or an Advisor Note (shared with yourself and any advisor assigned to the student).
- Type your note in the comment box. You can choose to e-mail yourself or your student a copy of the note. If you do not want anyone else to see the note, change the note sharing permissions to private.
- Click Submit.