SLCC uses institutional standardized Canvas Outcomes, which allow administration and faculty to track mastery in a course. You can search, find, and import any of these standardized outcomes into your Canvas courses or Canvas assignments.
This process requires two steps:
- Add an Outcome to a Course
- Add an Outcome to an Assignment
Add an Outcome to a Course
To find an Institutional Outcome to add to your course:
1. From your Course Navigation Menu, select Outcomes.
(Note: If this option or "link" is not available, you need to enable it within your course settings. To find out how, please see the Canvas Guide: How do I manage Course Navigation links?)
2. From the Outcomes menu, select Find. A collection of SLCC's standardized outcomes have been categorized here into folders and sub-folders.
3. From the pop-up menu, navigate through the folders and sub-folders to find and select the desired outcome. Follow these instructions:
(Note: You may see different folder depending on what department you are in.)
4. Finally, click the Import button, located at the bottom of the options menu. This adds the outcome to your course. The outcome can then be added to your assignment rubrics.
Important Note: In each section there are many possible rows and you can select any one of those that best fit what they value and what fits your assignment.The Office of Institutional Effectiveness requires that you must select an outcome from the following four sections, so that we can aggregate data across the campus:
- InferenceThe other sections are optional.You should pick the best row for your assignment:
- That Matters
- They Value
- Fits the Assignment
- Would generate information that would be helpful feedback for your students who are learning how to think critically
For detailed instructions, see the Canvas Guide: How do I find an existing outcome to add to a course?
See also: How do I import outcomes for a course?
If you don't already have a rubric for your course and need to add one, please see the Canvas Guide:
Add an Outcome to an Assignment
To find an Institutional Outcome to add to an assignment, do the following. Make sure that you have completed the previous steps first.
1. From your Course Navigation Menu, select Assignments.
2. Open an assignment.
3. In an existing rubric, click Edit.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the rubric and click on the Find Outcome link.
Note: If this is the first time you have used this tool, you see a pop-up menu with no listed options. When you click here, you are redirected to the Outcomes course link to locate the appropriate outcome.
5. The next step is the same as steps #2 and #3 in the Add an Outcome to a Course procedure above. Click Find, locate and select the desired outcome, and then click Import.
6. After importing the outcome, click Update Rubric at the bottom of the rubric to save your changes.
Note: This is an indirect way to import an institutional outcome, but may be beneficial when you're currently working on an assignment. We recommend locating and importing outcomes into your course first (as explained in the previous procedure) so that they are available to add to your rubrics more quickly and with fewer clicks.
If you don't already have a rubric for your assignment and need to add one, please see the Canvas Guide: How do I add a rubric to an assignment?
REV EZ 07/01/2021