A course Homepage is the first thing a student sees when logging into your Canvas course. By default, Canvas displays the activity stream messages, but no other content when students arrive in the course. We recommend you use a home page for your course for the following benefits:
- Creates a reassuring welcome for students to know they are in the right place
- Improves the immediate look and feel of your course
- Provides students with immediate and relative information
- Maintains continuity for students with their other courses containing similar information
How to Make a Canvas Page
In this video, you will first learn how to create and manage Pages in Canvas.
Recommended Content for a Homepage
SLCC Online and eLearning Services recommend a custom homepage which could include the following:
- Full Catalogue name of the course, beyond the abbreviation. Example: Introduction to Political Science
- The online designation, if appropriate.
- Lecture or Lab designation, if appropriate.
- Semester name. Example: Fall 2019
- If you're using Modules, you can include a "Start Here" button which will link to your modules (Online QM rubric standards).
- See the Canvas Guide: How do I link to other Canvas pages in a course? (Note: You can link to other pages and modules in using this method.)
- Class time, day, Building/room number, Campus.
- Instructor contact information, including, Name and title.
- Link to Bio and credentials, if appropriate.
- Email, or "Please use the Canvas Inbox email."
- Office hours, or "Office hours by appointment."
- Office phone, if appropriate.
Setting a Front "Home" Page
Once you create a page, see the following Canvas Guides to set it as your home page:
Note: Your department or an imported set of the course content you use may already provide a home page in which to edit and replace with your current information.
Additional Help Resources:
If you have further questions on how to do something in Canvas or to schedule an in-person consultation, please use one of the options below:
24/7/365 Canvas Support:
- Hotline: 801-957-5125, Option 2 (Faculty)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
F2F Canvas Course Faculty Support
- 801-957-5125, Option 3
- Email: email@example.com (Faculty)
- See also: SLCC Online & eLearning Services