When a student registers for a course, those students are automatically populated into the corresponding Canvas course site. Students may need to drop the course at a future point, however, and will be dropped from Banner, but are not automatically dropped from Canvas.
- If the request is received before the student has accessed the course, the student will be removed from the course.
- If the request is received after the student has already accessed the course, then the student will be deactivated in the course. Their names still appear in the Canvas Gradebook, but they cannot access the course and do not receive any course correspondence. Deactivation allows us to retain a record of the student's activity in the course. For example, if an instructor is asked for that student's last day of attendance, the instructor can review the student's Access Report.
- Students who withdraw from the course, rather than drop it, will remain in Canvas for grading purposes. A withdrawal requires a "W" grade.
If you have further questions on how to do something in Canvas or to schedule an in-person consultation, please use one of the options below:
- Hotline: 801-957-5125, Option 2 (Faculty)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 801-957-5125, Option 3
- Email: email@example.com (Faculty)
- See also: SLCC Online & eLearning Services