Video, audio, and image files from Kaltura (My Media / Media Gallery) can be embedded in a Canvas page, assignment, discussion, or anywhere the rich content editor box displays in Canvas. Kaltura is SLCC's video hosting platform for accessing digital media within Canvas.
Important: We highly recommend you upload personal videos you have into Kaltura instead of Canvas files, as there is a large amount of storage for rich media content and videos to be stored and accessible.
First, create or open the page where you wish to embed the media. Click the "Edit" box to see the Rich Text Editor of the page.
- Click on Tools at the top of the menubar to view a list of external tools.
- Navigate to and select the Apps option.
- A drop-down menu will appear displaying recently used apps. Select the Embed Kaltura Media link if it displays.
- If the Kaltura LTI tool does not display in your recently used applications, you will need to click on View All option and then select it from the list of all applications.
- Alternatively, you can view your apps from the toolbar. In the toolbar, click the App icon.
Note: If your screen is sized too narrow, you may have to stretch the window to reveal more options, or you may have to click the Options icon .
If the Kaltura LTI tool did not display,and after clicking View All, do the following:
- Scroll through the apps (listed alphabetically) until you find, then select the Embed Kaltura Media link.
- You can also filter menu options using the Search field.
Next, browse the media collections. You can select from:
- My Media, where your personal media files are stored.
- Media Galleries, where your shared course media is stored.
- Or you can Add New from other video sources, which then get added to Kaltura.
- Once you find the media you want, click Select next to the media element you want to use. You can customize the options on the right to meet your needs.
Note: Once you click Select or click on the desired size, it will automatically embed onto the page.
Lastly, don't forget to Save the page. If you're ready for students to see the page, click Publish.
Click the Play button on the video displaying to confirm that it displays and runs correctly.
If you have any questions or need additional support, please contact Instructional Media Services at 1-833-250-2077 (toll-free) or 1-801-957-5125 Option 2.
- Canvas Guide: What is the Rich
- Samples of embedded media on the Canvas
Support Template site: Process
for Embedding Videos in a Canvas
REV EZ 08/04/2021