Starfish is a student success tracking program integrated with your Canvas courses. It facilitates timely communication between the Instructor, Academic Advising, Student Success Coaches, and students who are at risk academically.
"One of the best ways to ensure the success of our students is to track their progress. To do this, we need your help! We have added a program to your Canvas classroom called Starfish to help you make the process of reporting on the academic progress of our students as easy and efficient as possible." --The Office of Student Success and Completion
To set up Starfish in your Canvas course:
- Sign in to Starfish with your login credentials. Click here to view a one-minute video about signing into Starfish
- Watch this five-minute video on how to complete a Starfish Progress Survey.
- Instructors manually enable Starfish to be visible in the course navigation menu, as with all navigation buttons.
- For step-by-step instructions, please view this Canvas guide How do I reorder and hide navigation links?
How the progress survey works:
- You will receive an email message that includes instructions and a list of your outstanding progress surveys, organized by course section.
- Once you follow the instructions and reach the reporting grid, simply check the box next to the particular student's name for whom you would like to report progress. You will have options to add comments.
- Click Submit. If you don't have any progress to report, it is important that you click Submit, so the Starfish Admin knows you reviewed the survey. You will receive a confirmation email.
- Issue you raise will be addressed by the appropriate individuals from SLCC.
Your SLCC contact for Starfish training is Ashley Sokia (email@example.com)