Important: As of July 1st, 2022, Proctorio will no longer be available. Online proctoring will be provided by Respondus LDB (LockDown Browser) and Respondus Monitor, which will be available for all face-to-face, live stream (hybrid/broadcast), and online courses.
What is Respondus?
- Respondus Lock-Down Browser (See Related Articles, top-right, for more information)
- Respondus Monitor
Respondus Technical Requirements
Respondus LDB and Monitor work on the following devices:
- iPad (must enable in settings)
- Lab Computers (with LDB installed)
Respondus Monitor is fully-automated proctoring software that builds on LockDown Browser. Respondus Monitor provides powerful tools for non-proctored environments to deter cheating with webcam recording and post-test analysis only available to instructors. Please see related articles for information on other Respondus software.
Adding Respondus LockDown Browser to Course Navigation
- From the left menu in your course, select Settings.
- Select the Navigation tab.
- Click and drag the Lockdown Browser option from the lower (hidden) list into the upper (visible) list.
- Click Save.
- Refresh the page to confirm that the Lockdown Browser option is visible to students in the course's left menu.
Selecting the quizzes to use Respondus Monitor
After a Canvas quiz is created in your course, you can add options for virtual proctoring. (See the Respndus Quick Start Guide)
Important information when using Respondus Monitor
When using Respondus Monitor, you should note a few subtle difference between using Canvas Classic Quizzes vs. Canvas New Quizzes. With Classic Quizzes, students have to manually launch and sign in for each quiz using Respondus Monitor. When using New Quizzes, the Respondus app auto-launches. Both versions will be asked to close applications if running.
Other helpful information:
- Respondus Settings do not effect Canvas Quiz Settings
- Works with McGraw Hill and
- Data only available to instructor level and above
- Settings in Canvas and Respondus can be edited before students take the quiz
- You can copy and paste instructions from the guides into your instruction fields. (Note, you can also allow notes and open book and is encouraged to add this option in your instructions.)
- In-class exams will require an access code
- At-home exams will have a recording.
Tips and Best Practices
- Choose and try settings for your exams
- Prepare students
- Use the wording from resources, copy/paste, customize (shown in brackets)
- Create Practice Quiz
- Respondus provides built-in troubleshooting + LiveChat support for students
- These instructions may be useful to include in your quizzes to help inexperienced students. Website: Quick Start Guide to Lockdown Browser for Students.
Resources for Instructors