The NEW DesignPLUS Sidebar is now available!
Recently we have upgraded our
DesignPLUS sidebar. This new sidebar has a
more modern interface and
increased functionality, and you can
access it the same way as before by
going into the Rich Content Editor in
Canvas and pressing alt+shift+D or Control+1.
Here are some 1-2 page documents to help you quickly get started and refer back to as needed.
- Getting Started: Before You Begin - A document overview of the user interface and basic operations of the new Sidebar. You can also watch a video overview here.
- Building a Basic Page - This document has a quick start for building basic page content with a suggested workflow.
- Building a Homepage - This document has a quick start for building basic front page components.
- Styling Plain Content - Instructions and screenshots for styling basic content such as headings, page title, images, links, and tables.
- Integrating DesignPLUS Content into Existing Content - How can you immediately start integrating DesignPLUS content into
existing pages? See how the new Sidebar can insert content anywhere;
you don't have to start with a blank page.
- Accessibility Cheat Sheet - This page is a quick introduction to the six accessibility checkers built into the new DesignPLUS Sidebar.
- DesignPLUS User Guide - general information, tool-specific guides, examples, screenshots, and instructions for using the tools.
- Upcoming Live Training Schedule - Live train-the-trainer sessions are offered on a regular and
pre-scheduled basis, delivered via Zoom, and recorded for your reference
- DesignPLUS Training Series - watch video sequence training
- Getting to Know the New DesignPLUS Sidebar - Recorded 1 hour Webinar
Frequently Asked Questions Related to the new Sidebar:
Do we need to upgrade legacy content?
It depends. Legacy content will still function normally after the new
Sidebar is installed, so existing content can be left alone. Legacy
content will only need to be upgraded if users want to style it with the
Can I edit legacy content with the new Sidebar and vice versa?
No, the legacy sidebar can only edit legacy content and the new
sidebar can only edit new content. However, the new Sidebar can upgrade
legacy content so that you can edit it with the new Sidebar. The
legacy sidebar cannot downgrade content. If new content is detected on a
page where you are attempting to use the legacy sidebar, it will prompt
you to switch to the new sidebar.
Can I bulk upgrade pages? Can I upgrade the whole course at once?
No, the upgrade tool only works one page at a time. Since legacy
content will still render properly, you only need to upgrade pages that
you intend to edit with the new Sidebar and leave the rest alone.
Can we have both legacy and new content at the same time?
Yes, both old and new content can exist simultaneously in the same course.
When will we lose access to legacy DesignPLUS sidebar?
Legacy DesignPLUS Sidebar has a projected sunset date of December 31,
2024. At that point, the legacy sidebar and legacy code will no longer
be maintained by Cidi Labs.
What happens to legacy content after 12/31/2024?
Existing legacy content will still function normally and retain its
styling since the CSS will still be there. However, the legacy code will
not be maintained.